Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Never Mix Business with Pleasure

I am sure the title of this blog entry is something that we have all heard, "NEVER MIX BUSINESS WITH PLEASURE". The context in which this phrase was heard, may vary based on individual experiences. For me, this phrase was always used to describe the idea of never dating anyone you work with, keep your work life and your love life separate. . . Well, before I get too deep into this, let me just say, this blog will not be about my lustings of a co-worker (simply because I am not lusting after anyone lol). Instead this blog will be about something a little different. . . .

Never mix business with FAMILY. I am sure a lot of people have differing opinions on this issue, but I am just going to express mines. Perhaps, you readers can tell me your personal stance on the issue?

I am sure anyone who has reached a certain level of success, whether it be graduating college, starting your career, receiving a promotion, winning the lottery, pursuing modeling or any other dream that pays big money, has heard the phrase, "Don't forget about me when you get big, you know we go way back" or "Hook me up with that job, that car, that man, that woman. . . come on, you gotta look out for family".

I am guessing that maybe I missed the memo. I missed the set of life instructions that says, "Rule #1, always look out, provide for, and help family. . . NO MATTER WHAT". Before you all develop an opinion of me, let me just say, I am in no way selfish. I am caring and I share with others. I believe in helping others that are less fortunate, but just because you're family does not guarantee that I am going to extend myself to you. So many times people (including family) do not care anything about you until you have something to offer them.

There are other instances where individuals have a specific skill and relatives would like to receive the service of the skilled individual free of charge, i.e. styling hair and nails, babysitting, preparing taxes, etc. Why is it that relatives do not think that people should be compensated for their time. If a relative does your hair every two weeks, why is it assumed that the services will be free? If you go to a salon and get your hair done, do you compensate the stylist by simply saying, "thanks for looking out"? No, you dig into your purse and pay the required fee.

If a relative is skilled at preparing taxes and you need your taxes done immediately because you waited until the last minute, should the relative professional have to drop what he or she is doing to spend time preparing your taxes free of charge? No. When you goto H&R Block and meet with a tax agent, is flashing your pearly white smile considered compensation for the services that this establishment has provided?

Or how about a relative stays home during the day and agrees to babysit your child while you goto work because you asked for help. You agree to pay your relative $10/day to care for your rugrat. Is it fair for you to not show up? To cancel at the last minute? To not pay the babysitting fee weekly? To make statements such as, "money is tight, we are family and we go way back. I know someone who will do this for free".

A service is a service. Where is the respect for people's time and skill? It seems that family will take advantage of you quicker than a stranger. I am not saying that it is always about the money. I also do not think people should be greedy, but family should realize that everyone's time is valuable. Just because you are family does not mean you're automatically entitled to free services.

I do not know about you, but I will never hire family to work for me. I will never set family up with my friends. I will not babysit for family on a regular basis. I will not become your personal stylist. I will not be your tax agent. I will not give handouts to random family members that don't even really care about me. Call it selfish, call it mean, call it whatever you want. . . but the economy is bad, everyone has their own hustle. I will not risk allowing family to mess up my funds.

Making money is a business. I will not mix my money with any and everyone because I may just end up broke.

2 comments:

  1. like i always say you gotta cut the umbilical cord from family sometmes especially parents smh lol...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I take it one step further.

    Never mix money matters with anything personal.

    You just end up digging your own grave.

    ReplyDelete